There are various styles to the fashion photography genre such as Editorial, catalogue, high fashion, and street. Street fashion photography is the latest addition in this category and is gaining prominence owing to its simplicity and connectivity with commoners. Catalogue and Street style fashion photography are quite distinguishable, whereas Editorial and high fashion photography are quite similar in style.
Listed below is a brief idea about the different style of fashion photography :-
Editorial fashion photography
This kind of photography is featured in fashion magazines, books, posters, etc. The styling here plays the lead role, and the story runs through the photo shoot. Different stories, articles, publications, and ideas are combined with visual content, which is further published. Editorial/ fashion models are photographed throughout the day on different locations and in different wardrobes. The storyline of the fashion photoshoot is explained to the model, and he/she is responsible for enacting the role given to them via expressions. The idea behind such a shoot is to create a powerful statement regarding the product. All the details of editorial photo shoots are essential right from the hairdo to the makeup and from clothing to the photography props and locations. These photo shoots are rarely done with the white or plain background.
High Fashion photography
Often the big brands and label advertise their products using high fashion photography for which different models are chosen. This kind of photography revolves around supermodels, celebrities be it actors, singers or reality TV show personality. High fashion models chosen for the product has certain prerequisites to qualify. The clothes and the accessories showcased in this photo shoots are often at bay from reality. The designer uses the model to showcase their creativity to their clients. The apparels and accessories of the models are exaggerated and extraordinarily designed to grab the attention of the selected audience. Over-the-top lighting, location, hair-do, styling, wardrobe, and the location works together to create flawless images of the model, which are further published for big fashion brand’s promotion. This, in other words, is purely fashion and glamour photography away from reality.
Print media companies use this style of photography. The product images are printed to market them to their clients. The informational pictures clicked under this style where the model is made to pose against a specific background and the clothing or the accessories that have to be promoted can be seen In the photo shoot. The styling here takes the back seat, and the background usually is white or grey. The photographs are clicked in such a manner that every detail of the clothes is visible. Photo shoot for this category is usually done in the studio or any other location ideal for the same. Professional Portfolio Maker and fashion photographers alone can do justice to these kinds of photo shoots.
Street fashion photography
Street Fashion Photography is the most relatable kind of photography. In this style, the essence of fashion that exists on the street captured. It showcases what typical people wear, how they can see the style, and how their regular clothes make the fashion statement. The photoshoot is usually done outside the studios, and the photography revolves around daily chores like walking on the street with various shopping bags and wearing trendy clothes. This kind of fashion model photography highlights the trend in the real world.
Alternate Fashion Photography
Ever heard about alternate fashion? Fashion is a very volatile business. A type of dressing which is popular today may go out of trend in some weeks. But some legendary trends became popular in their time and stayed in the market for the longest time. Alternate Fashion photography tries to revive these lost trends. It is the genre of fashion photography that puts a spotlight on independent models and photographers who still love the style of the 1970s and 80s. They try to recreate and carry the feel of the past using the mix techniques of clothing, makeup, setting, and lighting. Past trends like Grungy, Gothic, and Hip Hop are popularly featured as well as mixing these trends and creating a new style is also encouraged in this style of photography. Such photography rarely appears in a mainstream fashion magazine and is published online, but sometimes it is featured exclusively in period movies and TV series.
Some other popular sub types of Fashion Photography
Beauty Editorial photography is the subtype of Editorial photography. It has a precise approach towards the elements like jewelry, makeup, hairstyle, and headwear. The style is more focused and has close up frames of these elements along with a story running through. It is published in mainstream magazines and work as a catalog for jewelry, makeup or lipstick brands.
The Look book is a type of Fashion photography that combines the style of Portfolio-catalog and editorial. It consists of a model dressed up in a line of clothing featured by a particular brand and this is used as a catalogue by that brand. The Look Book can be used independently by the photographers and models as their portfolio displaying their abilities.
Advertising Fashion Photography –
Advertising Fashion photography has a tiny scale and qualified approach. It may include only one exclusive picture of a model dressed up in a particular dress. Such photography is done by major brands for outdoor advertising to display it in the hoardings and other exclusive areas.
Do’s and Don’t of fashion photography.
- The photographs should be of high quality.
- The model should convincingly fit into the product story.
- Respect the models and don’t try to get physical without permission.
- Maintain a good rapport with the model.
- Communicate and clearly define the guidelines to the model so that conflicts in the futures are minimized.
- Always check the previous works of the selected/potential models as this will give you an idea about the variety of styles and look he/she can accentuate.
- Examine the environment/location carefully and find out unwanted shadows as they can spoil the Beauty of the shoot.
- Pay attention to the scene before taking photographs as it would result in saving image retouching time.
- Always be creative and think out of the way to narrate the story via fashion photoshoot.
- Always hire professional photographers for fashion photography
- Don’t compromise with the lighting source. A variety of lighting equipment is needed for fashion shots.
- Fashion photography is teamwork, so every team member is it, clothing stylist, hairstylist or makeup artist, let everyone demonstrate their creativity and add more vibrancy to the shoot.
- The storyline should be obvious in fashion photography as everyone on the sets should be well informed about what is demanded from them. This will help in delivering better-finished images coupled with natural emotions.
- The story in the fashion photo shoot should be brief and understandable.
- There is no need to give every detail in the story and highlight only the most critical moments. Never try to copy the style of famous and successful photographers.